Tiburon is growing rapidly and actively recruiting. Please read the below firm description, summary of opportunities, and application process.
Tiburon Strategic Advisors:
Tiburon Strategic Advisors (“Tiburon”) was founded in 1998 by a McKinsey & Company alumnae. The firm historically functioned as a boutique strategic consulting firm serving the worldwide financial services & fintech industries. Based on its two decades of substantial success, widely published industry views, and very broad set of industry contacts, Tiburon has evolved into a multi-faceted business, with its core services including Tiburon Membership & Tiburon CEO Summits Sponsorship (Tiburon Written Research, Tiburon Research Calls, Tiburon CEO Summits), conference speeches & market seminars, due diligence & other CEO-level advisory roles, and ongoing board roles. Tiburon also generates substantial revenues from its own proprietary investments in financial services and fintech firms. The firm has published 1,900+ Tiburon Written Research papers, hosts 42 weekly Tiburon Research Calls for its 100+ corporate clients, hosts semi-annual Tiburon CEO Summits in New York, NY & San Francisco, CA for 250-300 of its CEO-level clients, and invests in (and serves on boards of) numerous leading financial services and fintech companies worldwide.
Tiburon is also structured as a highly efficient lifestyle business, maintaining a highly professional culture serving primarily CEO-level clients, with very high service standards, a 100% expected client retention rate, and substantial sales & revenues goals, all balanced with a focus on work/life balance. The firm’s managing partner values and closely measures results, with key results measures including the firm's revenues & profits, and its numbers of clients, attendees, listeners, & readers. The most successful candidates will have experience in professional services firm environments (e.g., private equity firms, management consulting firms, etc.), experience working with CEO-level clients & fixed deadlines, and a clear revenue-orientation. At the same time, the firm has recently invested substantially to refurbish its physical office environment at Point Tiburon Plaza near the ferry dock & water fountain in downtown Tiburon. And the firm is willing to consider unusual (albeit permanent) working models for parents with school age kids and other similar situations. The firm’s office location, office décor, business casual dress code, and kid school oriented core operating hours are all part of a lifestyle choice by the firm’s managing partner. Tiburon presents a unique career opportunity for mature and talented professionals in the Tiburon, CA area.
Tiburon seeks to hire locally. The firm held its first successful summer interns program this past summer, with three local summer interns. The firm has now hired three additional local part-time college & high school student assistants to handle office tasks and supplement its client communications efforts. Tiburon’s next objectives are to add two managers, as well as numerous more analysts and assistants.
Managerial Level Job Openings:
Tiburon has two managerial level job openings:
Tiburon Operations, Production, & Service Manager Role
Tiburon’s operations, production, & service manager will have responsibility for three core activities:
- Operations & Administration: Core operations & administration responsibilities will include payroll, benefits, office technology, vendor management, and related activities working with the managing partner. Success here will be measured by the efficient and successful management of operations.
- Research & Production: Core research & production responsibilities will include hiring, training, and managing research & production analysts, managing the firm’s library of 1,900 topics, and managing the firm's source material library. This manager will also be expected to help with document production in the cases of employee absences and/or heavy demand. Success here will be measured by the daily accurate production and posting of multiple research documents.
- Service & Sales: Core service & sales responsibilities will include managing the company’s inbound & outbound service & sales efforts. Specifically, the firm receives annual fees from ~100 corporate clients and has served ~450 corporate clients over the past twenty years. And the firm receives inbound leads from prospective clients daily. Success here will be measured by retaining all corporate clients, bringing back prior year corporate clients, and adding hundreds of new corporate clients.
Tiburon’s operations, production, & service manager will also assume management responsibilities. Specifically, the firm intends to hire multiple research & production analysts and service & sales analysts. And this manager would also assume responsibility for co-managing both the summer intern program and the part-time assistants program.
Tiburon Operations, Production, & Service, Manager Compensation:
Tiburon believes in compensating based on efforts and results. One way of ensuring fairness to employees is paying per hour and paying additional amounts for overtime. This role is projected to pay $45-$60 per hour, or approximately $94,000-$125,000 plus additional amounts for overtime hours. Tiburon also offers heath care insurance including medical & vision, personal time off (PTO), birthday & work anniversary holidays, paid charitable opportunities, team lunches, parking, and similar benefits. High performing managers will also be able to interact with Tiburon's CEO-level clients at its semi-annual Tiburon CEO Summits (the next of which is April in New York, NY at the Ritz Carlton Hotel).
Tiburon Marketing, Events, & New Businesses Manager Role
Tiburon’s marketing, events, & new businesses manager will have responsibility for three core activities:
- Marketing: Core marketing responsibilities will include managing the firm’s substantial online presence through its weekly research releases, web site updates (and desperately needed redevelopment), and social media efforts, as well as media relations, its awards strategy, and advertising. Specifically, the firm has a Salesforce database with over 500,000 industry contacts that have contacted Tiburon over the past twenty years, over 100,000 of which receive the firm’s weekly Tiburon Research Releases sent through Savicom. Success here will be measured by increasing inbound leads, listeners, attendees, and revenues.
- Events: Core events responsibilities will be further monetizing Tiburon's Research Calls and its Tiburon CEO Summits. Tiburon hosts weekly Tiburon Research Calls and semi-annual Tiburon CEO Summits. Both can be monetized further, with more attendees, more sponsors, and more events (e.g., daily Tiburon Research Calls, an international Tiburon CEO Summit, a training business, etc.). Success here will be measured primarily by revenues.
- New Businesses: Core new businesses responsibilities will be launching numerous new business ideas outlined by the firm's managing partner. Tiburon has plans to launch a variety of new businesses building upon its existing client base and Tiburon Written Research. New businesses will include benchmarking tools, institutional research, consumer research, mergers & acquisitions advice, a venture capital fund, a private equity fund, a hedge fund, and a principals program. Success will be measured by the profitable launch of new businesses.
Tiburon’s marketing, events, & new businesses manager will also assume management responsibilities. Specifically, the firm intends to hire multiple marketing analysts. And this manager would also assume responsibility for co-managing both the summer intern program and the part-time assistants program.
Tiburon Marketing, Events, & New Businesses Manager Compensation:
Tiburon believes in compensating based on efforts and results. One way of ensuring fairness to employees is paying per hour and paying additional amounts for overtime. This role is projected to pay $45-$60 per hour, or approximately $94,000-$125,000 plus additional amounts for overtime hours. Tiburon also offers heath care insurance, personal time off (PTO), birthday & work anniversary holidays, paid charitable opportunities, team lunches, parking, and similar benefits. High performing managers will also be able to interact with Tiburon's CEO-level clients at its semi-annual Tiburon CEO Summits (the next of which is April in New York, NY at the Ritz Carlton Hotel).
Ongoing Tiburon Job Openings:
Tiburon continuously hires for two entry level job openings and has opportunities for part-time student assistants:
Tiburon Analyst Job Openings:
Tiburon continuously hires for two entry level job openings (each projected to pay $25-$35 per hour (or approximately $52,000-$73,000) plus overtime). The firm needs multiple candidates for both areas:
- Research & Production Analysts: Core responsibilities are to deliver three PowerPoint assignments per day. PowerPoint completion includes making noted additions & enhancements, completing research & printing assignments, publishing all document parts to the Tiburon web site, confirming that all parts’ links work, delivering a complete printed package to the managing partner, and sending the executive summary to the managing partner. More experienced members of the team should be able to complete three or more PowerPoint assignments per day and also add more value in research. Roles report to Tiburon operations, production, & service manager.
- Service, Sales, & Marketing Analysts: Core service & sales responsibilities include the company's inbound & outbound service & sales efforts. Core marketing responsibilities include managing the firm’s substantial online presence through its weekly research releases, web site updates, and social media efforts. Roles report to either Tiburon operations, production, & service manager or Tiburon marketing, events, & new businesses manager
Tiburon Part-Time Student Assistant Job Openings:
Tiburon is also continuing to seek to add entry-level part-time assistants for administrative work. College & high school students are welcome to apply. Some previous professional services firm office experience would be helpful. Energy, attention to detail, and yet reasonable expectations will be keys to success (tasks may often be repetitive such as emailing, filing, or data entry for a few hours at a time). Starting pay is $13 per hour and potentially up to $15 per hour for those who are most productive.
Prior to applying for any Tiburon role, please:
- Review Tiburon’s (admittedly out of date) web site to gain an understanding of the firm’s products & services, and its research processes and document structures
- Review the (also admittedly out of date) Tiburon CEO Summit videos on YouTube, which should help bring to life the Tiburon CEO Summits
- Search for Tiburon Strategic Advisors and Chip Roame media coverage
- For candidates seeking to be even more prepared...
- Consider visiting the web sites of leading private equity firms such as FTV Capital, General Atlantic Partners, and Hellman & Friedman, and strategy consulting firms such as McKinsey & Company, Boston Consulting Group, and Bain & Company to better understand the private equity and strategy consulting industries, and understand Tiburon’s position within the broader market
- Consider reviewing two books in the library called The McKinsey Way and The McKinsey Mind. Reading such would prepare one well for an interview at Tiburon
If you are interested in applying for any Tiburon role, please email a cover letter explaining how you would fulfill this job’s specific requirements and include a resume. Please send these to Careers@TiburonAdvisors.Com. Tiburon will contact qualified candidates promptly. Thanks & good luck!